Pages

Friday 26 November 2010

Street Style

If there's one thing Brighton has been lacking, it's somewhere you can get quick, authentic Thai food. So when the Edible team found out a new place called Street Thai had opened in Brighton Square, we booked a table and got down there to try it armed with camera and notepads. 


Brighton Square itself has been crying out for something to lift it food wise - it's had all manner of failing cafes that never get it quite right. The square itself is lovely, housing Rounder Records and a few boutiques (let's not mention the teeny bopper Claires. Oh, I did). On a Saturday lunchtime this little square is buzzing with Brighton visitors discovering the tucked away areas of our great city or Brighton residents buying records from Rounder. I've often thought that it needed a really good lunch place with a twist.



Street Thai sits in the space that I think, though I'm not sure, was an Ask or something uninspiringly similar. The appearance of it is modern and fresh, despite looking like it belongs to a brand. Though we visited at night, I instantly thought about how good it would be to sit in the window and watch the world go by in the day. When I walked inside I was pleasantly surprised - the wooden decor is modern and inviting without being at all pretentious and there is a great vibe. A great addition is the Thai street art on the walls which is the creation of a friend of the manager. There is also a large upstairs area where you can hold private parties. 











The music policy is very Brighton, with the music featuring a various selection from the K&D Sessions and Grand Central amongst other similar sounds. What struck me most though is how passionate all the staff are about the food. When given the menu, we asked for recommendations and the staff were full of ideas and their faces lit up when talking about the food. I can't tell you how happy that made me. 


The menu is laid out very much like a Wagamama menu, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as everything is clear and easy to find. The choice is excellent with good descriptions. When ordering, the staff ask how hot (spicy) you want your food which I really liked. There is also optional chopped chillies on the table. 


We all ordered our meals and the staff were very accommodating for me as I am on a special diet. Actually, they couldn't have gone further out their way to make sure I was catered for. We got chatting to the manager at this point, an attractive Thai lady named Booki who used to run a Thai cookery school on Lorna Road. Naturally inquisitive, I talked with Booki on what drove the Street Thai idea and I couldn't help thinking if the food was as genuine as she was then we were on to a sure fire winner. 



And win we did. Our starters came out and looked wonderful. The food at Street Thai is quick but attractive and there is no sparing on taste either. I opted for Moo Ping - BBQ pork on skewers with sweet chilli sauce - and I didn't regret it, the pork was beautifully seasoned. Steve had Chicken Satay which was far from your standard fare of satay, it came accompanied with lovingly prepared satay sauce and cucumber relish. The real show stopper was the Bhuu Nim Tort Prik Thai Dam (fried soft shell crab to you and I) - a great big pile of succulent crab with a delicious garlic and black pepper sauce. We also had the recommended Yum Mamuang Koong Pao - a delicious, zesty mango salad topped with grilled tiger prawns, coconut flakes and cashew nuts.



Fast is the name of the game at Street Thai and we received our mains as soon as our starter dishes were taken away. Amy and Steve both had the Pad Kra-Prao Gai Krob, stir fry crispy basil leaves with chicken, green beans, pepper, chillies and garlic. This large dish comes with an accompanying bowl of soup and Booki has recommended they have the egg on top which was beautifully cooked. The rice is included with the dish which is good to see, I never get why Thai restaurants have it as an extra order - who wants to eat Thai curries and stir fries without rice? I opted for a salad - the Larb Gai, translated as chilli-laced minced chicken on leaves. Despite my food envy for the other two, I enjoyed my salad immensely. 












Dessert was the real clincher for me - I am fond of crunchy, sweet things so the pandan Crepe really had me going - beautiful, toasted coconut flakes in a pandan leaf crepe. The green tea cheesecake is made in the Street Thai kitchen and is oozing with authenticity and the coconut ice-cream was amazing. 


I finished with a pot of pandan tea - pandan is a Thai leaf that is not standard fare in Thai restaurants in this country. The leaves are steeped in the pot and the result is a sweet tea that is perfect as a dessert tea. 

We chose the Wits End Sauvignon Blanc at around £13 for a bottle, quite honestly it was the nicest low/mid price Sauvignon Blanc I've had for a long time. Most starters at Street Thai come in at about £4.50 and mains about £7.00. As mentioned, rice comes with most of the dishes and you get a choice of rice or roti with the curries. 


We left the restaurant full of praise for our Street Thai experience and we talked about it lots with friends we met at a pub afterwards. Should you be wandering through Brighton Square on Saturday you'll probably spot me in the window, I can't wait to get back for more. 





No comments:

Post a Comment